Friday, December 4, 2015

Life Update : First Time Mommy

Hello, its been awhile. I've been MIA for almost a year now because I've had a difficult pregnancy that required all of our efforts to be directed to ensuring that the pregnancy will be successful and the baby would come out healthy.  Thankfully I've just given birth to a healthy baby boy named "John Lucas" last November 24, 2015. 

A lot have changed in my life since my last post here and I thought that I would share my pregnancy experience with you and maybe you can get some tips if your a pregnant or planning to get pregnant. To start, I got pregnant last November 2014 and thinking everything was fine, I went to a normal OB/GYN when I was about 6 to 7 weeks along for my first ultrasound, we found out that the baby or fetus did not fully develop for some reason and we were advised to go back a week after for a second ultrasound to double check if there is a heartbeat or signs of growth of the fetus. Unfortunately the result of the second ultrasound was still negative and we went to a High Risk Pregnancy Doctor for a second opinion and she said that she concurred with the findings of the first doctor. She suggested that we undergo the D and C with my first OB/GYN and come back after I've recovered for a full physical work-up.

I had my D and C operation in February 9th 2015 and by the 3rd week of February I went back to the High Risk Pregnancy Doctor and we did numerous lab test. After two to three weeks we got the results and according to her I tested positive for the Lupus Anticoagulant test, it is a strong indication for Antiphospholipid syndrome (APS). APS is an autoimmune disorder that is associated with pregnancy complications, including preeclampsiathrombosis, autoimmune thrombocytopeniafetal growth restriction, and fetal loss.

Basically, she explained that my body is treating the baby/fetus as a virus. My body will try to eliminate the fetus by making my blood thicker so that the fetus will not absorb the nutrients from my blood and it will eventually lead to another miscarriage. So she had to start me with Aspirin one tablet daily for three months before she advised us to get pregnant again and once we get pregnant we have to undergo some kind of treatment.

Things did not go as planned, my period was delayed in March so I decided to take a pregnancy test, and to my surprise it was positive. We immediately went back to my doctor and told her I was pregnant, she did an ultrasound and we were so nervous that it would not develop again but she told us that it already has a heartbeat and we should start with the injectibles. I was given heparin 5000IU to be injected twice a day in the belly up until 2 days from my expected due date. Heparin is also an anticoagulant that will help thin the blood out. So along with the other pre-natal vitamins I had to take Aspirin, Heparin and Euthyrox (thyriod hormone supplement). I also had to watch my sugar levels as well because the baby was getting bigger for his gestational age, it was found out that I had gestational diabetes so I was also put on a strict diet mainly, 1 cup rice per meal, fish or chicken for viand and a lot of vegetables. Fruits were restricted to apples and 1 banana per day. Basically its a NO for FATTY, FRIED and OILY FOODS.  A total of 3 main meals per day and 3 snacks in between. 

Since knowing my condition, every time we come in for a check-up the doctor will always perform an ultrasound to check the condition of the baby and we are so thankful that we get to see the baby move and the progress of his growth. A total of 39 weeks, a 7 lbs baby Lucas came and so far he is normal and healthy. 

So for those who have had multiple miscarriages or those having trouble conceiving a baby, I suggest having a work-up so you and your baby would be given the proper treatment. Going through the strict diet, meds and injections was definitely hard but it was a worthy sacrifice for my baby. I hope my experience can help some mommies to be or first time mommies. Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Its truly awesome article, I have got much clear idea about from this paragraph.


    my weblog: skin care

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...